Jon Lasser, Ph.D., Regents' Professor
Phone: (512) 245-3413
Office: ED 4036
Ph.D. School Psychology, University of Texas, 1999
M.S.Ed. Sexuality Education, University of Pennsylvania, 1994
BA Plan II Honors Program, University of Texas, 1993
Dr. Lasser has a wide range of scholarly interests and has developed a record of publication that reflects his diverse research agenda. He has cultivated a body of work that is unified by themes of ethics and social justice with applications for professional practice.
Tech Generation Raising Balanced Kids in a Hyper-Connected World
My book with Dr. Mike Brooks, Tech Generation. Raising Balanced Kids in a Hyper-Connected World, was published by Oxford University Press Academic Publishing, the book:
- Offers a compelling, practical, and balanced approach to technology use that will resonate with parents
- Presents a model for technology use that is grounded in research on effective parenting and the effects of technology
- Explains how and why our screens create an almost irresistible pull on our attention
- Highlights the benefits of technology, as well as how to minimize its negative effects
Plotts, C., & Lasser, J. S. (2020). School Psychologist As Counselor: A Practitioners Handbook (2nd ed).
Lasser, J. S., Klose, L. M., & Corley, K. (2021). Thriving in Private Practice and as an Independent Consultant. In Handbook of University and Professional Careers in School Psychology. New York: Routledge.
Jones, T., & Lasser, J. (2017). School Psychology with Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Questioning (GLBTIQ) Youth. In M. Thielking & M. Terjesen (Eds,) (Eds.), Handbook of Australian School Psychology.
Lasser, J. S. (2021). What Boys Do. Washington, DC: Magination Press (American Psychological Association).
Lasser, J. S., & Foster-Lasser, S. (2020). Grow Kind. Washington, DC: Magination Press (American Psychological Association).
Foster-Lasser, S., & Lasser, J. S. (2018). Grow Grateful. Washington, DC: Magination Press.
Brooks, M., & Lasser, J. S. (2018). Tech Generation: Raising Balanced Kids in a Hyper-Connected World. New York: Oxford University Press.
Lasser, J. S., & Foster-Lasser, S. (2017). Grow Happy. Washington, DC: Magination Press.
Chen, F., Shatila, A., Lasser, J. S., & Beck, B. (2021). Psychoeducational Assessment of Transgender/Gender-Nonconforming Students. Journal of Applied School Psychology. Published.
Song, C., Buysse, A., Zhang, W., Lasser, J. S., & Dewaele, A. (2021). Sex differences in the romantic relationships of same-sex couples: The role of visibility management. Sex Roles. Published.
Davis, E. B., Deneke, E., Plante, T. G., Grey, M. J., Freeman-Coppadge, D., Kim, C. L., … Stratton, S. P. (2021). The Role of Cultural Humility and Civility in Navigating the Intersection of Religion/Spirituality and Sexuality/Gender. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 8, 79–97.
Lecheler, M., Lasser, J. S., Vaughan, P. W., Jesi, L., Kirstina, O., & Michelle, B. (2020). A Matter of Perspective: Theory of Mind Autism Intervention for Adolescents. International Journal of Developmental Disabilties. Published.
Lasser, J. S., Ryser, G. R., Borrego, D., Reyes, K., Pruin, J., Randolph, P., … Hale, L. (2020). Contemporary College Students’ Attitudes About Deception in Research. Ethics & Human Research. Published.
Dennison, A., Lasser, J. S., Madres, D. A., & Lerma, Y. (2020). Understanding Families Who Choose to Homeschool: Agency in Context. School Psychology, 35(1), 20–27. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1037/spq0000341https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2020-00472-002understanding families who homeschool final-1.pdf
Van Overschelde, J. P., & Lasser, J. S. (2019). School Psychology Workforce Trends: Recommendations for Graduate Preparation and Policy. Contemporary School Psychology. Published.
Texas State University
- Child and Adolescent Psychopathology: Advanced Assessment and Intervention (SPSY 5379)
- Ethics, Standards, and Procedures in Professional Psychology (SPSY 5385)
- Consultation and Professional Issues in School Psychology (SPSY 5386)
- Alternative Evaluation, Intervention, and Student Outcomes (SPSY 5398)
- Practicum in School Psychology (SPSY 5389)
- Standardized Testing (COUN 5305)
- Individual and Group Counseling Techniques in School Psychology (SPSY 5380)
- Psychological Assessment I (EDP 5376)
- Interviewing, Counseling, and Consulting in School Psychology (SPSY 5300)
- Internship in School Psychology (SPSY 6301/6302)
- Social, Emotional, & Behavioral Assessment (SPSY 5377)
- Independent Study (ED 7378)
Texas State University
- University Seminar (US 1100)
- Research Ethics (HON 3397Y)
- Honors Capstone Development (HON 4390!)
Austin Community College
- Introduction to Psychology (PSY 2301)
- Human Sexuality (PSY 2306)
- University Distinguished and Regents' Professor, School Psychology
- Center for Diversity and Gender Studies Advisory Council
- Pandemic and Post-Pandemic Work Group: Faculty & Staff Morale Work Group.
- Division Administrator, Qualtrics Team