Skip to Content

Travel Advances

Expand All Content
  • UPPS 05.06.04 Travel Advance Policy

    Travel advances may be requested by an employee when:

    • at least one student is traveling with the employee,
    • when travel involves a foreign destination,
    • when the travel relates to research. 

    Only employees may request a travel advance.  Students, contractors, or prospective employees may not request a travel advance. The minimum advance is $200.00 for domestic travel and $500.00 for foreign travel. The amount requested cannot exceed the total estimated trip costs.

    For research advances, the trip period must exceed five calendar days with planned expenses of $500 (minimum advance amount) or more. Research advances related to human subject payments, other research expenses, or if funded by a grant should refer to UPPS 02.02.06.

    The travel advance is requested on the Concur Travel Request and must be submitted to the Travel Office at least ten (10) business days before the travel start date. Travel advances are issued no earlier than 14 calendar days before the travel start date. If an advance is needed and the Travel Request has already been processed, the traveler must cancel the existing request, create a new one with the advance included, then submit for approval through workflow.

  • Travel advance funds will be deducted from the travel reimbursement payment when the Expense Report is completed.

    Reminder: Expense Reports must be completed and submitted to the Travel Office within 30 calendar days after the trip end date.

  • The TouchNET system is the preferred method for repaying any unused travel advance funds. Because this process is web-based, it can be completed regardless of where you are located, removing the need to remit payment in person at the Student Business Services office.

    When using the Travel Advance Returned Funds website, there is no need to enter the General Ledger Number or Fund Number as they are programmed into the system. Enter the repayment amount, Trip Number, your first and last name, email address, bank routing number, and bank account number. Once the repayment is confirmed via email, retain a copy for your records and attach a copy to the Expense Report to clear the advance. Be sure your bank account has available funds to avoid an insufficient funds fee.

  • Use the T-6 Travel Advance Return (deposit form) located on the Forms page to return unused travel advance funds via check or cash. To complete the form:

    • Enter the 4-digit alpha-numeric trip number in the Assignment field on the deposit form. No other data is allowed in this field.  
    • Enter General Ledger 101110 and Fund 2025031000. No cost center is entered.
    • Include the Trip Number in the description field.

    The completed form and funds should be remitted to Student Business Services in JCK 188 for processing.

    A copy of the deposit ticket must be attached to the Travel Reconciliation Expense Report.