Skip to Content

Receipt Requirements

Receipts must accompany a completed expense report in order to be reimbursed for authorized business travel expenses. If original receipts are not available, the following supporting documentation may be used as a receipt alternative:

- credit card statement, or
- copy of canceled check.

Certain expenses (i.e. parking, tolls, or taxis) may not provide a receipt. In lieu of a receipt, a detailed explanation as to why no receipt was obtained is required; additional approvals may also be required.

Without a receipt or alternative supporting documentation, reimbursement will be delayed and/or reduced.

  • Receipts are required for all reimbursable expenses.

    • Transportation by airline, railroad, rental car, taxi, or limo (tip not to exceed 20% of the taxi/limo fare)
    • Lodging
    • Parking and tolls
    • Registration fees
    • Fuel for rental cars
    • Business meals
    • Miscellaneous expenses (i.e.: long distance business calls, excess baggage fees)

    NOTE: Do not submit any non-business meal receipts with your travel expense report.

    • Alcoholic beverages
    • Tips and gratuities on meal per diems when used for reimbursement
    • Excess baggage charges for personal belongings
    • Expenses not related to official State business
    • Laundry or cleaning
    • Personal entertainment
    • Flight insurance
    • Early Bird Check-in
    • Meals for non-overnight stay (partial per diem)
    • Losses caused by exchange rate fluctuation
    • State of Texas hotel occupancy tax
    • Expenses incurred on behalf of another university employee
    • Expenses related to the operation of a personal vehicle, excluding parking and/or tolls
  • When requesting reimbursement, all expenses incurred in foreign currencies or exchanges of currency must be converted to U.S. dollars. The request for reimbursement must document the calculation using an approved foreign currency conversion methodology. Travelers may utilize the following options:

    1. On-site Exchange Rate: If the traveler converts U.S. dollars to a foreign currency while overseas, the traveler should receive a receipt showing the actual exchange rate. This single rate may be used only for the individual transaction and may not be used for other transactions during the trip. Additional fees charged by the foreign currency exchange vendor may be reimbursed, if included on the receipt, itemized, and explained
    2. Credit Card Rate: If the traveler charges expenses to a credit or debit card, the card issuer will perform the currency exchange. The rate will be detailed on the traveler’s card statement, which may be used as documentation of the exchange rate. Additional fees charged by the card issuer for foreign currency transactions may be reimbursed, if itemized and explained on the statement.
    3. Online Rate: The traveler may use’s historical currency exchange as a standard conversion rate. The OANDA website provides an average exchange rate for a period of travel and should be customized to the exact dates of travel.

    Any deviation from the methodologies above requires documented approval from the respective Cabinet Officer.