Old Fish Hatchery Ponds
The bodies of water surrounding the Theatre Center and J.C. Kellam Administration Building are the remnants of a U.S. Federal Fish Hatchery, founded in 1893. The 43-acre hatchery was the nation’s oldest when it was deeded to Texas State in 1965 and is now the site of Texas State’s Aquatic Biology Program. This site is the oldest federal fish hatchery west of the Mississippi River.
The Fish Hatchery's view of fish, turtles, ducks, and other native animals has made it a current favorite of visitors and members of the Texas State community.