Authorized by the Texas legislature in 1899, Southwest Texas State Normal School opened its doors in 1903. Over the years, we've broadened our scope and changed our name a few times as well.
Each name reflects our growth from a small teaching institution to a major, multipurpose university. Through our nine academic colleges, Texas State offers more than 200 undergraduate and post-graduate degrees to serve the needs of future generations of Texans.
- 1899: Southwest Texas State Normal School was authorized by the Texas Legislature
- 1918: Southwest Texas State Normal College
- 1923: Southwest Texas State Teachers College
- 1959: Southwest Texas State College
- 1969: Southwest Texas State University
- 2003: Texas State University-San Marcos
- 2013: Texas State University