Skip to Content

Transfer Students

At Texas State's CIM Program, we welcome many transfer students every year! Here are answers to some common questions and suggestions for courses that you may have taken at another university or in high school and would like to transfer toward your CIM degree.

Transfer Adivising Guides

The CIM Program has partnered up with surrounding community colleges to provide transfer students the ability to enroll into our program with courses that are accepted.

Take a look and see if you can find your college!

Alamo Colleges District

Frequently Asked Questions

  • May I transfer as a freshman? As a Sophomore or a Junior?
    You may transfer at almost any point in your academic career, but if you have completed upper-division coursework (at the junior or senior level) at another university, only up to 9 credits of these courses is accepted. Many students complete one or two years of coursework and transfer as a sophomore. Some transfer with almost all coursework necessary to begin the junior courses in the fall semester.
  • Is there a GPA requirement?
    Currently the CIM program adheres to the university requirements for transfer students.  Beyond that, there is no GPA requirement to enter the CIM program at this time.
  • How can I transfer my previous coursework to the CIM program?
    The first step is to apply to the university. Then work with the admissions office to have your previous coursework transferred.  Finally, work with your academic advisor in the CIM program to match your transferred courses to those in the program curriculum.
  • How do my AP courses or CLEP credits count toward my degree?
    Credit for courses through AP usually transfer directly as the required course.

    Click here to see how your AP credits will count toward the major.

Commonly Transferred Courses

For all of the options below for transfer issues, please work with your academic advisor soon after beginning classes at Texas State to make sure that your choices will be accepted for graduation.

English Composition - If you have taken a 4-credit English Composition course

Some students have taken a single 4-credit writing course, rather than two 3-credit courses.  In this case, it is most beneficial to the student to count the writing course taken for ENG 1310 (College Writing I) and require ENG 1320 (College Writing II) to be taken at Texas State. 

General Chemistry - If you have taken a 4-cr General Chemistry course

If you have taken a 3-credit chemistry course with an additional 1-credit lab portion, or a combined class and lab course for 4 credits, the CHEM 1335 course may be waived.

Statics, Mechanics (and Dynamics)

The CIM program requires a combined statics and strength of materials course.  In some cases, students have taken separate statics and strength of materials (also called mechanics of materials).  As long as both courses or a combined course have been completed, transfer credit may be granted for Texas State's 3-credit "Statics and Strength of Materials" course (depending on a review of the courses taken).

Introduction to Engineering - If you have taken an Introduction to Engineering course

In many cases these can be substituted for CSM 1260, but individual determinations must be made by the department. Often two courses have been taken which could be combined to account for the content of CSM 1260.

If you still have questions, or would like to schedule a visit to see if Concrete Industry Management at Texas State is right for you, contact Dr. James Wilde, the CIM program director.