Teacher Professional Development Information
The Mathworks Summer Teacher Professional Development (PD) program prepares teachers to engage students of all backgrounds in doing mathematics at a high level. This PD equips elementary and middle school teachers with the mathematical background and leadership training needed to give all students the opportunity to build a strong foundation to succeed in mathematics.
- Give teachers strategies to successfully teach pre-algebra and algebraic concepts at the elementary and middle school level
- Equip teachers with research-based teaching practices
- Inform teachers of pedagogy aligned to student success on STAAR
- Provide opportunities for teachers to work with Texas State mathematics education graduate students and faculty on research
- Give teachers experiences with hands-on activities aligned to elementary and middle school mathematics
- Engage teachers in continual learning and doing of mathematics
- Involve teachers in analyzing classroom practices
- Develop teachers as invaluable resources for colleagues in their own schools and districts
- Enable teachers to host their own Junior Summer Math Camp (JSMC) for 4th-8th grade students
- Enable teachers to use the Mathworks school-year Math Explorations curriculum.
- Prepare teachers to work with students on math competitions and to support math clubs
The dates for 2023 are June 5-16, 2023. This immersive two-week PD program is conducted each summer in San Marcos in early June, coinciding with the JSMC. In the morning, participants will be part of the half-day JSMC. In the afternoon, teachers participate in a class covering research-based mathematics pedagogy and engaging math activities. A total of 45 hours of Professional Continuing Education hours is awarded, approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).
There is no charge to attend our PD program. Room and board is available for a limited number of teachers.
Room & Board
If you need room and board, we can arrange for that on the Texas State University campus. You are responsible for transportation from the University campus to the JSMC site every day of the program, which will be at a local San Marcos CISD campus in San Marcos (approximately a 15-minute drive from the University campus). If you do not need room and board, you simply need to arrive at the JSMC site every day of the program.
Sample Daily Schedule
|7:30am - 8am||
Arrive at JSMC host school in San Marcos, Texas
|8am - Noon||Observe JSMC|
|12:00 - 12:30 pm||Lunch|
|12:30pm - 4:00pm||Afternoon PD|