Master of Arts in Adult, Professional and Community Education
The MA in Adult, Professional and Community Education is a 36- 39 hour program (including thesis) which provides the expertise and experience to develop and lead adult education programs in a variety of settings such as community-based literacy programs, postsecondary education institutions, community education programs, adult basic education programs, workplace development programs, and lifelong learning programs.
For both the thesis and non-thesis option, required coursework emphasizes, adult learning and development; program administration and leadership, including needs assessment, design, implementation, management, and evaluation; research methodology; teaching adults; and multicultural perspectives in postsecondary and adult education. Additional courses are added to the student’s degree outline in consultation with the program advisor and with consideration of the student’s professional concentration (e.g. adult literacy/ESL, continuing and community education, or workplace learning).
Students in the MA program have the option to write and defend a master's thesis on an adult education topic. Graduate faculty will guide and supervise the thesis project.
All of the following materials must be submitted to the Graduate College.
- Application for admission to the Graduate School at Texas State University
- Current resume/CV
- Writing sample as specified:
- Discuss a major issue currently confronting adult education. You are strongly encouraged to draw on your own experiences in education in writing this essay. Please detail your own position on the subject and limit your response to 1000 words..
- Transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate work (Bachelor’s degree required). Review the instructions for submitting your official transcripts.
- Contact information for 2 letters of reference
- Interview with an ADED advisor or faculty committee. Email Dr. Jeremy Bohonos, program advisor, at email@example.com, to schedule an appointment AFTER completing application process.